Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Ring the bell!

Let the school year begin!

What a privilege I have to have another year at home with the girls. The opportunity that I have to teach and train them is quite an honor. Reading, math, history, science and all the rest of the typical subjects pale in comparison to sharing life and serving the Lord. Is every day one for the record books? NO! Do I make mistakes? YES! I just love the chance that we get to work out life together.

One of the greatest, most rewarding points of our day is their devotions each morning. Both of them use the books God and me! It is a daily scripture and life application story along with a little game! Most of the lessons are independent, but there are times that it requires some discussion. This year we are also going through Proverbs, a chapter a day. Now that takes some discussing. But how great is the wisdom!


Olivia is beginning third grade. She is my little organizer. Her desk area stays neat all day. She likes how there is a plan for the day and the week in the plan book. She keeps me accountable. She is hard on herself, always wanting to be better. She feels things deeply. She is the first to cry in a movie and always wants justice. I wonder where she will go in her future. She is my social butterfly but reminds me of a momma hen, always wanting to know where her chicks are. She struggles with fear. She is very competitive, which will aid her this fall while she plays baseball with a bunch of boys! She is doing well in piano, I love to hear her make up tunes. Looks like this year is going to be great!
Third grader!


Fifth grade is getting a second dose of Stephanie. We had to come to this decision last year when Steve and I realized that her mind could handle the work of a sixth grader, but we did not want her to begin "middle school" events at 10! So, we are doing round two! She is so smart and there is so much to learn in life, she is not being held back. That is one of the joys of homeschooling. No stigma of failure, just success at what is set before you. She is more creative than ever, using her summer money to buy things like air-dry clay, paint, dreaming of what she will make in sewing this year, and loving music whether it is singing or playing the piano! I can't keep enough books in the house for her to read. She mostly loves collections of stories, because she loves the characters. That is her hook in a book. She started her own book this past weekend...we will see where that leads! Stephanie still is a processor of information...she has been that way from very young...I can always count on her strong silence to be revisited later when she needs answers.


It is going to be a great year. Stay tuned!

No comments: