Monday, January 31, 2011

Author Study: Tomie dePaola

If you had been a fly on the wall the past two times we have met to do an author study, you would have heard things like... "gratiz", "Mangia!", "Ciao Bella", "amore y abaci", and "Mama Mia!" and a few others. We had our Italian hats on and had a blast. Tomie dePaola wrote many books about his childhood and many others that had a setting of old Italy. We had fun! We made cookies at the end of today using inspiration from Mr.de Paola.

Along with math we also spent some time using Ywam's collection on missionaries. I have mentioned it before, and it is worth repeating. These books tell the story of obedience and sacrifice in a way like none I have seen. We learned about Nate Saint and Jim Elliot who gave their lives down in Ecuador. We then watched End of the Spear, a film made of this poignant story.

Seeds. Just planting seeds. Some days I water, some days I prune. Some days I see growth, some days I wonder if birds have plucked away all the goodness. Good stuff people!





No comments: