Monday, January 25, 2010

hours and hours of football

After nine last night when Steve and I had watched well over six hours of football, both championships, my girls had had enough. They lamented over both of their parents being fans of football. There might have been a tear or three. I assured them I was just being a good wife. I was not a "true" NFL football fan, just a fair weather, end of the season watcher. Plus I liked trying out the football lingo that I know, on Steve. Hey, a girls got to do, what a girls got to do, to get some attention around here. I am just afraid he thought this was a new habit I was starting yesterday. It isn't.

But today when I got the sad and unfortunate news from a dear friend of mine that her marriage was being assaulted, I was glad Steve and I had taken the time to have a date Friday, and enjoy each other's company over burly men chasing a ball. Effort, connection, attention, all of these play a part in making this thing called marriage successful. It also is great to be reminded that love is not just a feeling, but a commitment, vow, a covenant we have. Not one of us is immune to hard times and even the death of a marriage, but I think that is worth knowing and remembering at times. Not taking each other for granted. Recognizing each other's worth. Not making it work on my own, but needing to be needed.

As for my friend and her husband? God is in the business of restoration. He always has been. And, He always leaves it better than it was before the destruction. So there is hope. He is our hope.

1 comment:

Xandra@Heart-of-Service said...

"I was not a "true" NFL football fan, just a fair weather, end of the season watcher." This made me smile, because you just described me! I'm all about watching the playoff games and then the Superbowl, but I very seldom watch any regular season games or even keep up with who is ahead. LOL!

The rest of your post is so true as well. We have to WORK to defend and maintain our marriages. Some of us have an easier time than others, but God uses all our circumstances to grow us and to show us the beauty of restoration. Great post!

Xandra