Monday, October 1, 2012

Happy Fall

Today is the first Monday in October. Time for cooler weather (not here!) and beautiful decorations (done! Thanks Olivia) and pots of soup, with windows open (new screen door because of Stormie!) and lots of football!

Before I know it, 2012 will be coming to an end and I will look back at this year's blog and wonder what we did since I have been so irresponsible with it, but on the other hand, I will realize how busy we have been.

I printed a verse today for Stephanie, it was Psalm 139:16... it made me think of her when I read it.

 "All the days ordained to me were written in Your book before one of them came to be." 


She loved it. I had printed it on fancy paper a friend had given to the girls, and it just seemed to fit since we have been wandering into new territory of pre-teen world. Her "confident leader" self has taken a back seat to a "go with the crowd" temperament, I am pretty sure she is just trying this out. Many days she leaves me in awe at her talents and kindness, and so when I asked her if she wanted to hang this verse in her room, she beamed and said,"Yes!"

 It made those wheels of hers start churning... that is who she is... always. Contemplative. Reasoning. Thinking about her days being ordained. Now not every choice is right, but every choice is hers. I do love her determination.
I am reading two books right now, Parenting with Love and Logic, by Foster Cline. I read this when they were toddlers, but I have reopened it and am finding new ideas for these growing girls. I also am reading Five Conversations to have with your daughter, by Vicki Courtney. I love them both. Good good stuff.  Hard stuff, but necessary insight and wisdom.

Since Olivia seemed to be born with an aware sense of image, fashion and with-it-ness, I look for ways to prove to her that she is perfect just the way she is. I love that God gave me a brown-eyed girl after my blue one, it reminds me just how different they are. I remember Olivia asking me when she was so very young if I would love her even if she was ugly. Oh, I knew then this one was wired in a way that would take serious prayer,quality time, encouragement and keeping my cool! I remind her often of my love for her. I find ways to affirm her and plant seeds of confidence. I printed her a verse today reminding her of a dear and sought after quality. 

Charm is deceitful, and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. Proverbs 31:30

She loved it. Lit up the room in fact. She is a compassionate and tender-hearted girl. Words her hurt and sometimes she hurts with words, she knows their power. Recently she and I had many chances in a day to have heart talks and that day ended with her on my bed, crying and wondering how I grew up without a mother and yet I had learned how to be such a good one. 

All I could say was God's plans are greater than we can even imagine. 


No comments: